Shhh, It's Sleeping! - A Quick Word About Fauna (Updated)

When Donny and I see an animal dead on the road, we always assume it's slumbering. Guts splayed, spine flattened, black pecked-out holes where eyes once were, doesn't matter. "Aw, look at him sleeping!" With all that's wrong with the world, especially in these rough economic times, do we really need to be facing the reality of grisly deaths of cute animals?

Unfortunately, on the bike I have had to face reality. Thus far, I have seen squirrels, skunks, turtles, snakes and birds of many species, possums, chipmunks, gophers, wild turkey, cats, raccoons, black-and-blue butterflies and the caterpillars they were previously, rabbits, OURs (other unidentified rodents), one dog, and two deer at all stages of suppurating, festering decomposition. Hideous masks of horror. Death is not cute on the open road, yet I can't tear my eyes away. I've mostly been upwind of the carrion, meaning that I experience the putrid smell of Dead Bambi and Friends only after I pedal by. It's very challenging not to breathe as I pass, so unless the roadkill is on a downhill, I always end up inhaling just a little.

I will never be the same again.


Can't you see, I'm trying to sleep?

That being said, I've espied all of the woodland fauna in the live-flesh as well. It's a thrill to see a fluffy-tailed deer bound away as I approach her. If only the dogs were that timid...

Also lots of livestock, including hens and roosters (who have woken my ass up on more than one occasion), horses, cows, goats, and a donkey. All of these species, thankfully, have been alive. Except when they are on plates ready for consumption.

Comments

  1. As you know, the "shh, it's sleeping" doesn't work with your niece...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts