All geared up and didn't go...yet (updated)

I was almost almost almost out the door. So almost out the door that i had suited up in my skintights and, at the suggestion of my sister who felt strongly that the setting-off moment needed capture (but no one was going to be here to see it), actually pretended to leave with my brother-in-law filming me riding down the street, shooting pics with his camera and my iphone, bike all loaded up, around the corner and out of sight. The plan was for me to shower and get going for real, without fanfare - real or manufactured.

My plan was to publish those pictures and to alert you people of the falsehood. Not out of fairness or anything like that. Just felt you should be part of the experience. Nat and Larry felt differently, preferring a reality-tv reality (definitely has its merits). (side note: the pics that Larry "took" on my iphone didn't come out - do you think the universe was trying to tell me something?)

But it was a multi-layered fake-out - i was faked out too. I thought i was leaving today. Even though i was up until 2:30am, even though i have spent most of the last 3 days on a plane, on a long-ass car ride, eating shit food at Friendly's, seeing a full 40% of my family members all over Jersey, videotaping my grandparents recounting stories from their childhood, visiting my 96 year old Great Aunt Gert in the home, and being my niece's personal performance artist. And not sleeping. And commiserating Donny about Dinah's vomiting blood for two days which he's having to deal with without me and him leaving tomorrow to meet me in Powhatan at Jinx's. And the weather was indecisive at best. (What is all this i keep reading online about? - er, how do you say? - Thun. Der. Storms? These are...?) I locked and loaded Whitey Jackson (who looks awesomely tricked out as you'll see with his hi-fly-hi-flash fenders, new this season). I came in from the amazing-raceification photo-shoot and took a shower, even warmed up - did my Kristin-designed warm-up oh-so-carefully as if Kristin herself had alighted upon my shoulder like a bluebird sweetly chirping out orders, made a peanut butter and banana sam-wich with an apple and some baby carrots, came downstairs and shot a blank.

At least i didn't shovel a pawful of the chamois cream on my crotch. There would have been no turning back if i'd gotten to that final crucial moment. That shit needs to soak in before it gets washed off. And i don't like walking around feeling like i got a poopy diaper all day. It's nice 'n squishy on a bike though.

So tomorrow then. The judges used their save on me today.


Larry the BiL, pictured here with "Stubby" and other tools, means business

Comments

  1. Danny, WOW. Something told me to check on you and BTW, The Chamois cream has me crying at the desk. LOL!
    Hopefully things will fare better tomorrow. I'll Check. Stay Safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, then! We wish you an auspicious beginning, middle, and ending of this epic trip. We'll be sure to follow your progress and if you hear faint voices drifting across the ocean, that's us cheering you on!

    Best wishes from Claudia and Douglas, and the kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. HE'S OFF! Danny departed "mile 0" in Bethesda, MD at 10:05am on a bright sunny 55 degree morning. This time we CHECKED the camera with a couple of test shots to be sure all was well.

    I think an appropriate comment here is one that I had heard in the navy just before we would go on a long or arduous voyage:

    I wish you fair winds and following seas.

    Good luck Dan!



    Larry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts